Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Curlie in 3C - Coconut Oil Review




So lately I have been trying to incorporate more natural products in my hair regimen - like stuff you'd find in a kitchen, natural oils, etc. A few years ago, a friend put me on to the benefits of using coconut oil. I liked it, but I was not using it properly. I decided to try it again, in a few different ways. I'll be reviewing Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil as a pre-poo treatment and using the LOC method.**





The Product: Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil

Where You Can Get It: click picture above to link to the website where it can be ordered.



PRE-POO (this is a conditioning treatment that's done prior to shampooing the hair for added conditioning and strengthening.)
What It's Supposed To Do:  A pre-poo in general is supposed to penetrate and condition the cuticle to prepare the hair for the manipulation of a shampoo. Also, (from CurlyNikki.com"...it’s one of the relatively few oils that are able to penetrate deep into the hair. Coconut oil is special because it has the right combination of molecular size and shape (it’s small and has straight line structure that allows it to slip into hair) and the right chemical structure (it’s derived from lauric acid which has an affinity for protein.) So while most conditioning oils (like silicones and mineral oil) just sit on top of that hair, coconut oil is literally able to work from the inside.


What It Did: I did this prior to getting my hair straightened, which is not my usual practice. I found that detangling my hair was a LOT easier, and my hair was softer than usual after it was fully blown dry.

The LOC Method (LOC stands for Liquid, Oil, and Cream, which is the order of moisturizing for maximum results.) I used this method with a chunky twist-out, using the coconut oil as my "O".

    

What It's Supposed To Do: As the middle of the LOC method, its supposed to lightly layer over the liquid (water) to seal in moisture and help support the cream layer for ultimate moisturizing.

What It Did: Worked wonders! See in the middle pic how shiny my hair is? And it wasn't slick and greasy...it actually felt soft. I'm definitely a fan of this method using coconut oil.

P.S. I used it a skin moisturizer just out of the shower, and my skin was really soft! It lasted about 12 hours and I love the smell. It's faint and not overpowering. I love the smell of coconut when it's not too strong! 

The only other oil I've used is Olive and Grapeseed - I love those too, but for different purposes. I like to use Olive Oil as a part of my deep conditioner (more details on that later) and I like to use Grapeseed Oil as an everyday moisturizer when my hair feels dry and it's not wash day. But I've heard they all work for the LOC Method, depending on your hair type. But I really liked the coconut oil for my hair. What's your favorite oil? Which ones do you want to try?

**Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product.

No comments:

Post a Comment